Breastfeeding a Biter

    Breastfeeding is a beautiful thing. There are so many benefits to to breastfeeding your baby and it is a great way to bond. Those are some of the reasons why I decided to breastfeed both of my children. One thing that happens during breastfeeding is biting. If you've ever been bit while nursing your child, you understand just how painful this is. I nursed my son *now 5* until he was 6 months. I wanted to continue, but he bit me so hard one day that he actually broke skin (he had 4 teeth by 6 months). I was a tremendous amount of pain. Weening him wasn't bad being that she was introduced to the bottle right after he was born.
     I'm currently nursing my 6 moth old daughter, who has 4 teeth. 2 on the top and 2 on the bottom, just as her brother did and yes I have been bit. I am ready to ween her from the breast, but it is taking a little longer for her. She doesn't like formula, or the plastic nipples on the bottle. Hec, she just started using her pacifier a couple of weeks ago.

The biting is the main reason why I am ready to ween El, but until I am successful as weening, I had to learn how to avoid the biting. It's pretty simple. If your getting bit, your baby isn't latched on correctly. Once I learned that, I was at ease. Each time I nurse I make sure El is latched properly. You also have to make sure that the baby is positioned correctly. The way you hold your baby when nursing can make a world of a difference. The baby can express more milk more efficiently and will  satisfied, when held properly to the breast. One more way to prevent biting, when baby is done, don't just pull her away from your breast. Place a clean finger near the corner of her mouth to release her grip while your remove her. 

So here are the steps again:


  1.  Make sure baby is properly latched on to the breast
  2.  Make sure you are holding the baby in a position where they can comfortably express milk from the breast
  3.  Properly remove the baby from the breast when they indicate they are done; which can be by falling asleep or turning their face away from the breast 


Here are some diagrams of positions that yo can hold baby, and remove her, when breastfeeding:

                       Image result for how to latch baby while lying down


Image result for how to remove baby from breast




Don't give up. You can do it. =)

Comments

Popular Posts