Don't Give Up on Your Child

        It can be frustrating trying to keep a toddler to focus on something for more than a couple of minutes. It may even seem impossible, but it's not. So many times, parents feel that throwing a tablet or some sort of electronic in front of a child is the best thing to do for them, when really its the best thing to do for yourself. If you trying to get something done, and you need your child to entertain himself while your buys, it seems harmless. I've learned, the electronics are one of the very things contributing to the short attention span of so many children.

Image result for children in front of the television
To some it may seem like I am anti electronics. I'm not. However  I am anti over stimulation. The shows, games and videos our children enjoy are extremely fast paced. On average, children use 10 or more hours of electronics a day. That includes computer, television, cellphones, tablets, and all other gadgets. In my opinion, over stimulation like this, can cause lack of sleep, extreme irritability and lack of focus at school.

This is something that really hits home for me because I have a 5 year old son who loves electronics. He is on the computer, at the television, on a phone and he had a NintendoDS. He loves to play the games as any child would, but I'm starting to feel like they are controlling his world.

I was talking to a retired principal  and she let me know of all the changes she has witnessed first and second hand in the school system. The changes she saw in the children as new technology was created was devastating.

My focus is on my child's development. I am very hands on with his learning and progress. So even though I gifted him these techs for his birthday and well behaviors, I  have decided to cut back tremendously. I want him to be able to focus on one thing a at a time.
Not always be so jittery.

I'm starting to feel like these gadgets were made to shut kids up and get them out of the way. I wont let my son fall short because I didn't put time and effort into his learning.

Image result for toddler yoga animated
One thing we have started to doing, (something suggested to me) was yoga and meditation. It works and it's a great way to bond with your child.
Image result for jigsaw puzzles
Another thing you can do with your child is read and try doing jigsaw puzzles. This is no way taking fun out of their childhood. Who says these things aren't fun. I am very serious about my son being able to focus. It is something very important to me as he leaves daycare and begins school.

Don't Give up on your children. Some attention and T.L.C will help our younger generations be as bright as they can be. We have the ability to ensure our youths a bright future if we show a little effort. I know you can do it.

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was super helpful!! I'm going to try the yoga & meditation with my little one now :) Keep these great posts coming

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts